Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Jazz in April


I wanted to do a play on April in Paris as the Triangle really lights up for jazz performances in April.  But really it is a great time to talk about the most hidden jazz festival – the 22nd NCCU Jazz Festival in Durham from April 16-21.

Take 6 and Cyrus Chestnut headline this fine jazz festival this year, but there are events of every price and style that any jazz fan can enjoy.  I plan to attend Wednesday’s Faculty Jazz Group sessions featuring the Faculty Jazz Groups of NCCU and UNC.  Sounds like the making of a real battle of the collegiate bands.  Check out their website and try to get out and hear some live music.

I have really enjoyed listening to Cyrus Chestnut’s work as a result of him coming to the area and if I can find a way I will try and make the Saturday night show on April 21.  I would suggest you try and find so Cyrus and take a listen.   Christian McBride plays on his Soul Food album.  He plays with the NCCU Jazz Ensemble Orchestra and it is only $20.


Lost in the Trees
April 20 is the Lost in the Tree’s CD release party.  While this indie group is not jazz in the traditional sense, they have jazz elements.  This is at Cat’s Cradle Friday Night.  Just give me an excuse to go to Carrboro.  The new CD is called A Church that Fits Our Needs, which is a great title, but I am still trying to get accustomed to the music.


Peak City Blues Project, one of my bands, plays Deep South this Saturday, April 14 at 8:00 PM.  It will be a great throw down, but there will be very little jazz.  Just a lot of blues.  Still only $5.
Peak City Blues Project



Now about that April in Paris Song.  I think Monk’s version is the best even through Count Basie’s performance was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.   Monk has that funky Monk beat and Basie’s is just too smooth and city-fied for me.  Not bluesy enough.  But then there is that chorus from the Orchestra that shouts “One More Time,” that gives Basie a little edge.

April is a great month to get out and hear some music.  And as the Orchestra shouts “One more time!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment